For information on virtual instructor-led training, please email us.
Designed as a comprehensive overview of human food labeling under the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), this program explores the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the Code of Federal Regulations (Title 21), the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act and other valuable resource guides related to food labeling. Through presentations and workshop exercises, this program builds your knowledge and confidence to navigate the U.S. food labeling landscape and address food labeling requirements. Relevant comparisons to USDA (FISIS) meat and poultry labeling as well as Canadian food labeling are discussed as points of interest and contrast. Comprehensive resource materials, including an electronic copy of the Food Suite® Smart Tools for US Food Labeling, are provided as a part of this training program.
This training course does not cover pet food, infant food and formula labeling, dietary supplements, restaurant foods or alcoholic beverages.
At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- Identify and define the package, the label and their features (principal display panel, information panel, etc.)
- Review requirements related to common name, net contents, ingredient list, nutrition facts, domicile statement, country of origin, etc.
- Discuss country of origin labeling
- Discuss Nutrition Facts label requirements under the new federal regulations and lets make that final transition
- Determine what serving sizes to use, whether a product is a single or multiple serving package, and when a dual format Nutrition Facts label is required
- Discuss ingredient labeling, allergen labeling, nomenclature, incidental additives and processing aids
- Discuss technical features related to nutrition labeling, nutrient content claims and health claims
- Discuss GMO labeling
- Identify proper use of descriptive terms (e.g. fresh, natural, organic, etc.)
- Discuss USDA National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standard and how this may impact your food labels
- Certification Managers
- Food Agents and/or Brokers
- Food Importers/Exporters
- Food Safety & Quality Personnel
- Food Service Personnel
- Ingredient Suppliers
- Packaging Engineers/Developers
- Owners/Operations of Food Business
- Product Development/R&D/Food Technologists
- Production Managers/Supervisors
- QA/QC Personnel
- Regulatory Authorities & Personnel
- Sales and Marketing
NSF is committed to accommodating the learning requirements of all of our stakeholders. If you require special assistance for any reason, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org one week prior to your class.
This program is available as an onsite offering. Please email us for a quote.