Nutrition labelling is mandatory for most prepackaged foods, including bulk, foodservice and foods for further manufacture. Learn how to design a Nutrition Facts table (NFt) in compliance with the current regulations and new Health Canada regulatory amendments to nutrition labelling. This course provides a solid overview of Canadian nutrition labelling, nutrient content claims and health claims. The Advanced Canadian Nutrition Labelling course is designed as an ideal follow-up to this course.
Comprehensive resource materials, including an electronic copy of the Food Suite® Smart Tools for Canadian Nutrition Labelling, are provided as a part of this training program. Attendees of both the Canadian Nutrition and Ingredient Labelling workshops will receive an electronic copy of the Food Suite® Smart Tools for Canadian Ingredient Labelling.
Attendees of both the Canadian Nutrition and Ingredient Labelling workshops will receive an electronic copy of the Food Suite® Smart Tools for Canadian Ingredient Labelling.
This program is also offered through our partner in Alberta, the Alberta Food Processors Association (AFPA). Please visit their website to see course dates and availability.
At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- Identify the requirements for nutrition labelling, exemptions, and declaration of core nutrition and additional information
- Describe various Nutrition Facts table formats and their components: serving size, reference amounts, reference standards, recommended daily intake, weighted recommended nutrient intakes, daily values and tolerances for nutrient declarations
- Discuss how nutrient values are calculated and rounded
- Discuss available display surface (ADS) and its influence on NFt formatting, location and orientation
- Differentiate between the use of databases and wet-lab testing
- Discuss how ingredient labelling, label claims and advertising affect the presentation of an NFt
- Determine what NFt formats are eligible to use for the food and its package
- Determine a suitable serving size (former and new FDR)
- Appreciate basic nutrient content and health claims
- Food Inspectors
- Food Safety & Quality Consultants
- Food Safety Personnel
- Food Scientists
- Food Service Personnel
- Food Technologists
- Global Food Safety Personnel
- HACCP Personnel
- Ingredient Suppliers
- Marketing Personnel
- Owners/Operations of Food Business
- Plant Managers/Supervisors
- Product Development Personnel
- Production Managers/Supervisors
- Public Health Inspectors
- R&D Personnel
- Regulatory Authorities & Personnel
NSF is committed to accommodating the learning requirements of all of our stakeholders. If you require special assistance for any reason, please contact email@example.com one week prior to your class.
This program is available as an onsite offering. Please email us for a quote.