This course is also available as an onsite offering. Please email us for a quote.
Preparing and properly declaring a list of ingredients is one of the most challenging requirements in food labelling. Are you confident in the regulatory compliance of your existing or new ingredient listing?
This program focuses on the requirements of the Food and Drug Regulations, including Health Canada regulatory amendments introduced in December 2016 that govern all foods and beverages sold in Canada. This program concludes with an introduction to more advanced topics including how label claims and statements affect the list of ingredients (e.g. no preservatives) and how the ingredients may influence label claims themselves (e.g. “natural”), as well as an overview of CFIA’s Guidelines for Highlighted Ingredients and Flavours. The Advanced Canadian Ingredients Labelling course is a great next step to follow this training.
Attendees of both the Canadian Nutrition and Ingredient Labelling workshops will receive an electronic copy of the Food Suite® Smart Tools for Canadian Ingredient Labelling.
This program is also offered through our partner in Alberta, the Alberta Food Processors Association (AFPA). Please visit their website to see course dates and availability.
At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- Identify the foods that are exempt from ingredient listings
- Explain the basics of ingredient labelling (e.g. typeface, type height and location) and generate presentation options
- Define nomenclature (e.g. common names, class names and collective names)
- Identify what ingredients and components must be declared and those that may be exempt
- Define food additives and how they are specially regulated
- Discuss how interim market authorizations (IMAs) and market authorizations (MAs) influence compliance
- Discuss what CFIA and Health Canada define as processing aids and incidental additives
- Discuss rules governing ingredient omissions and substitutions
- Discuss the influence of ingredients on nutrition labelling
- Recognize the new graphics requirements for the list of ingredients
- Food Inspectors
- Food Safety & Quality Consultants
- Food Safety Personnel
- Food Scientists
- Food Service Personnel
- Food Technologists
- Global Food Safety Personnel
- HACCP Personnel
- Ingredient Suppliers
- Marketing Personnel
- Owners/Operations of Food Business
- Plant Managers/Supervisors
- Product Development Personnel
- Production Managers/Supervisors
- Public Health Inspectors
- R&D Personnel
- Regulatory Authorities & Personnel
NSF is committed to accommodating the learning requirements of all of our stakeholders. If you require special assistance for any reason, please contact email@example.com one week prior to your class.
This program is available as an onsite offering. Please email us for a quote.